Friday 25 January 2013

Sid the Kid comes to the Peg



“Hey crybaby Crosby, where is your diaper?” 

That was in 2007 in Ottawa during a playoff game.  The Penguins were getting destroyed by the Senators.  I had been dumb enough to shoot my mouth off before the game even began.  I was asking people if they could tell me who the scoring champion in the NHL had been that season, even though I knew it was Crosby.

I’ve taken my share of verbal abuse wearing my Sidney Crosby Pittsburgh Penguin jersey in opposing arenas.  Tonight I’m going to find out what it’s like to do this in Winnipeg.  (see my blog tomorrow for the exciting results – I’m also going to try to interview some people if I can)

Before the day began I did not have a ticket to the game.  Single tickets often get released on the day of the game and in order to get them you have to be on your computer, on the Ticketmaster website when it happens.  They are usually gone in minutes.

The first pair I found were right behind the visitors bench and would have set me back 450 dollars, but I was willing to pay it.  The last time I saw Sidney Crosby play it cost me 1200.  It was in Detroit, and it was game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals. 

There were lots of Penguins’ fans in the stands that day.  Not like that time in Ottawa.  It was like being a foreigner in Korea.  You could go a week without seeing another friendly face.

During that playoff game in Ottawa Crosby appeared to score a goal to make the game close.  Of course I had to get out of my seat to start feeding cheek.  This decision blew up in my face when the instant replay called the goal back. 

With the score 6 – 1 in the third period for the Senators,  Sidney Crosby scored his first ever playoff goal.  I got up out of my seat and loudly proclaimed, “Take that Ottawa!”

Of course the entire section started screaming back.  I think someone even gave me the finger. 
In Detroit the fans were a lot nicer.  I wore my Crosby jersey as I strolled about town and couldn’t believe how many Americans wanted to stop me and talk about hockey. 

At the game I was surrounded by a sea of Red Wings’ fans. After the game was over I ended up shaking hands with everyone seated around me.  The Penguins had lost the game (they would win the Cup), but the experience had been great.

I wonder what I’ll be able to say about my experience tonight.   
How friendly are you Manitoba?



No comments:

Post a Comment