Monday 14 January 2013

My First Jets’ Game and Early Jets Memories



In honour of the NHL lockout coming to an end, I’ve decided to do a series of blogs this week about one of my all time favourite subjects, the Winnipeg Jets.

My first Jets’ game was about 30 years ago.  It was against the Vancouver Canucks and they were wearing their infamous flying V jerseys.  Glen Hanlon started in net for them and he was the third star, even though the Jets won the game. 

Before going to the game I had only experienced the Jets and the NHL through Hockey Night In Canada on television.  It felt strange to watch the action on the ice without commentary.  I tried to add that, but was quickly told to hush up.

My favourite hockey player at the time, and in the city of Winnipeg, was Dale Hawerchuk.  The city would not see or feel such frenzy for the Jets again until Teemu Selanne’s rookie season over a decade later.

They had made a very big deal of it when they signed Hawerchuk at the corner of Portage and Main, just like they had done earlier with the monumental signing of the ‘golden jet’ himself, Bobby Hull.  Without that first signing, I never would have grown up with NHL hockey. 

I remember going to the skating rinks and all of the convenience stores, a year later, buying pack after pack of o-pee-chee hockey cards, trying to get a Hawerchuk rookie.  Back then the packs only cost 25 cents.

I didn’t get to go to a lot of hockey games when I was a kid.  My dad’s not a very big hockey fan.  Sometimes it makes me question his loyalty and his nationality.  (I’ve often told him he’s not Canadian for not watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs).

A few of my highlights from the early days of the Jets in the 80’s included getting to see the Oilers with Gretzky, Coffey, Messier, Fuhr, etc.

Growing up I hated Wayne Gretzky with a passion.  For years I cursed him as the man who had “personally ruined my childhood”.  He did this by destroying us every chance he got, especially in the playoffs. 

Quick trivia question: Which NHL team did Wayne Gretzky score the most goals against?

Burn for it Wayne.  I still haven’t forgiven you yet.

cheers,





rymr

No comments:

Post a Comment