Monday 31 March 2014

The Next Challenge

In two weeks all the Journalism students as well as the rest of the students in the Creative Communications' program at Red River College will be heading out on our work placements.

I will be going to work for Sun Media.

I currently am a freelance reporter for the Selkirk Journal. My editor is Amanda Lefley, whom I met while covering an announcement by the Manitoba Sports' Hall of Fame while working at my last placement, at the Selkirk Record.

I will be working with her and Glen Hallick.

Today I asked Hallick about my duties and responsibilities during the work placement. He said I would be writing a lot of stories covering Stonewall.

He also asked me how good I was at InDesign because they want me to do some layout for the paper.

This has me a little worried. I've never been that great with InDesign, even if I do feel that I have improved a lot from where I began.

When it comes to design I do think I have a good eye for composition. I shot 27 interviews for my IPP last summer and I was really suprised and impressed by some of them.

At times I'm left shaking my head and wondering if it was really me who shot some of them.

I can't believe they look so good.

I guess this means I must have talents that I am not aware of.

I have a little  under two weeks before I go out on my work placement. I'm hoping this will be enough time.

The plan is to practice my InDesign skills as much as I can to get up to snuff. I'm positive I can do it.

If anyone knows anyone who is good at InDesign and would like to make a few bucks giving me a few pointers, please let me know

No comments:

Post a Comment