Monday 24 March 2014

Going Back (one last time)

It had been a long time since I had stepped foot into the Westwood Presbyterian church. A lot has changed.

The year was 1981 and I was only four years old.

Most of my fellow students weren't even a glint in the eyes of their parents then.

I used to go their in the afternoons for what was called 'Kiddie College'. For a kid it was a lot of fun and a chance to interact with people my age.

We did finger painting as well as other games and crafts.

I still have this one piece I worked on with my mom a long time ago. Some how it has survived the last thirty years plus and still looks good.



Church was a big part of my life from an early age. My mom and my dad used to go every week which meant I had no choice.

Before going to church we used to watch Switchback on CBC. It was hosted by Laurie Mustard. For some reason he had a big fued with the town of Teulon.

He used to show old Batman episodes as well as other old TV shows. I used to think it was pretty funny. I remember one episode where he had a Trekker on wearing his Star Trek uniform. I thought it was pretty cool.

Sunday used to be my least favourite day of the week. I hated going to church. To me it was the most boring place to go in the world.

Like in the Simpsons, my favourite part of the week was the time right after church, because it was the time of the week when I had the most time before I had to go back.

We didn't go every sunday and each week I hoped that we wouldn't be going.

I guess I just couldn't stand what I considered bad public speaking.

Sunday school was always full and there was never a shortage of young families in attendance with their children.

It's not like this anymore.

In the congregation of about sixty people there was only one other person who was my age.

Not as many people it seems, attend church services in the city anymore, and many buildings which were built to house very large congregations are being torn down because they just don't pack them in like they used to.

What happened?

It's tough to say. After speaking with a bunch of the elder members of the congregation I couldn't find one single answer.

The answer I did find is the reason why people continue to come.

The one person I did speak with who was my age said that he enjoyed coming to church because it provided him with a sense of community.

I guess I never felt that and I suppose it's one of the reasons I didn't keep going.

My mom never stopped going. She still prays for me and hopes for the best.

She openly cried during the service and I couldn't understand why.

I hope it's not because she thinks I've been won back. Probably not.

I wouldn't be too surprised if another thirty years or so passed before I enter a church again.

How much more will change before then?

No comments:

Post a Comment