Thursday 30 January 2014

Grace in Defeat

I arrived at Lucky Luc's in St. Agathe a few minutes before eight. The establishment was mostly empty except for a group of my fellow journalism students.

 I knew NDP candidate Dean Harder many years ago. We took the same acting class at PTE, but it's been so long we couldn't remember which one.

When I got there they were already asking questions. It almost looked to me like they were giving him the third degree. I couldn't believe some of the questions they were asking him.

I think he was nice enough to talk to them for a while, but had to conveniently excuse himself to go write a speech for after the results had come in. I couldn't blame him.

He didn't have a pen so I let him borrow mine. He came back a few minutes later and borrowed my other pen because the one I had given him didn't work.

I went to university with his wife. She actually directed me in a play. It was called Rosencrantz and Guildernstern are Dead. I got to fulfill an acting dream of sorts by playing the role of Hamlet.

When I saw her I don't think she was quite certain how to react.

I hadn't seen either of them in at least a decade.

As the results started coming in it very quickly became apparent he wasn't doing very well. Soon after PC candidate Shannon Martin was declared the victor.

According to Elections Manitoba, Martin received 2,642 votes while second place Harder ended up with 488.

Liberal candidate Jeremy Barber finished close behind Harder with 422. Independent candidate Ray Shaw received 138 votes, while Alain Landry of the Green Party came in last with 85.

During the last election in 2011 there were only three candidates, with Mavis Taillieu of the PCs winning the seat with 73.6% of the vote, according to the Winnipeg Sun.

Mohamed Alli of the NDP had 19.26% of the vote while Janelle Mailhot of the Liberals only had 6.5%.

Before the totals were announced Harder wouldn't say what his goal was for the byelection. Afterwards he admitted to being disappointed he was unable to match the results of the previous candidate.

Speaking to those assembled, Harder was very humble.

"One of the best things about the weather is we were helping people."

He then talked about how he would help boost cars while out on the campaign trail.

During his speech his father, who was seated at the table next to the press corps, kept his eyes closed, back turned and face pointed at the ground.

After his son was finished speaking the elder Harder got up and addressed the crowd, which included the mayor of Morris.

A few minutes later I was back on the road heading home.

No comments:

Post a Comment