Monday 18 November 2013

I'm sick of the news

I give up. I just can't watch the CBC News Network anymore. Not for a while at least. Not until all of this Rob Ford stuff has blown over.

For the last little while, CBC News Network has been doing its best job to imitate CNN with its extensive, in depth, overblown, overdone coverage of what is going on in Toronto, also known in some Canadian circles as the centre of the Universe.

Having lived outside of Canada I can safely say it isn't. In fact, the place I used to call home was way bigger, more beautiful, and a far more interesting place than boring Toronto ever could be.

I guess News Network figures it is giving its audience what it believes it wants.

I love how big of a deal it is because it is getting recognized and reported outside of Canada on networks like CNN, and on programs like The Daily Show.

It's almost as if foreign coverage, in particular American foreign coverage seems to give the story more validity or relevance.

Well I've had it.

I started watching the news a lot this year because as a journalism student I feel it is very important to keep up to date with what is going on in the world.

I do have to write current event quizzes so this does provide a bit of the inspiration for my sudden interest in news, but seeing as I don't have to take another current events' news quiz until next semester (watch the class get a current events' news quiz tomorrow - if we do it's my fault and I want to apologize to the rest of the class) I think I'm going to skip watching the news, and in particular, CBC News Network for the next little while.

Hopefully when I start watching again in the new year all of this stupidity will be off the air.

cheers

rymr

No comments:

Post a Comment