Thursday 9 May 2013

Very Spicy Samgyapsol (part 2)

I couldn't find any good samgyapsol in Canada.  The one time I had it the strips were very thin and not very tasty.  I had to use wooden chop sticks and I wasn't able to cook my own food at my table.

It's not like that here.  The Korean food in Anyang is a lot better than what you'll get in Winnipeg.

I was a little disoriented walking around my home away from home for the first time last night.  It had been a very long day.

My day started in Winnipeg.  20 hours later I was in the ROK. 

Travel days are never easy, especially when you have to sit on the same plane for almost 12 hours.  That's still not the longest flight I've ever been on.  That occurred in 2007 when I took a 16 hour direct flight from Chicago to Seoul.

I took the airport bus from Incheon to Beomgye station.  I was a little thrown off because the location of the bus stop was different.  There was also a very unfamiliar landmark in the shape of a giant new Lotte mart that was not here when I left.  It was still under construction.

I had a phone number for reaching my friend Tom who is letting me stay at his place with my other good friend Janice.  The only problem was that I couldn't find a payphone anywhere.  Do payphones still exist?  If they don't I might be in trouble.

We dropped my luggage off at his apartment and headed back out.  We met Janice and went looking for my favourite Korean BBQ place. 

I got a little bit lost.  We walked right past the restaurant but I didn't recognise it.  It had changed a little bit.

The food was every bit as good as I remembered.  The samgyapsol was thick and juicy.  If you haven't had it before, it's kind of like bacon, but much better (I don't like bacon).

We also had a little bit of Galbi, which is beef if you haven't had it before. 

A Korean ajuma took the tongs from me and used a pair of scissors to cut the meat up into tiny little strips.  Our table was covered in side dishes.  There were a few types of kimchi and some soup. 

Everything tasted really great.  My last meal in Korea had been at this restaurant 15 months ago.  I couldn't think of a better place to have my first meal. 

If you are ever in Anyang check this restaurant out.  Very Spicy Samgyapsol has the best samgyapsol in the world. 

bon appetite,

rymr

No comments:

Post a Comment