Thursday 11 April 2013

Bastian Schweinsteiger and German Football




This is a bonus entry this week for my fans in Germany. 

I am a very big sports fan.  Hockey is obviously my favouite sport, but coming in second has to be the great sport of soccer, or football as it is more commonly known in the rest of the world.

The first World Cup I ever closely watched was in 1994.  It was being held in the U.S.A. so it made it easier to watch the games as they were being held at reasonable hours.

The second big tournament I ever closely followed was the 1996 Euro.  I delighted in watching my favourite team, Germany, defeat England on penalties, behind the stellar goaltending of perhaps the greatest keeper in the history of the sport, Oliver Kahn.

I think one of the biggest mistakes in recent sports’ history was when Germany decided not to make Kahn their number one goalie as they hosted the 2006 World Cup.

Emerging as my favourite player in the years since Kahn retired from international duty, is Bastian Schweinsteiger.

My favourite computer game to play is FIFA.  I can’t imagine having a team without Schweinsteiger on it.
Before he was the attacking winger on the right side, and now he is the complete midfield player in the middle.  The way he has rounded out his game over the years has been very impressive.  He has gone from the young, rebellious player with the platinum blonde dyed hair, to the more responsible leader that he is.

After the last World Cup I have also become a big fan of Thomas Muller (sorry my keyboard doesn’t have that symbol).

Anyway, this year I have been following Bayern Munich and I am hoping they will pull off the treble.
Go Bayern Munich, and go Bastian Schweinsteiger!

cheers,

rymr

No comments:

Post a Comment