Monday 7 April 2014

Politics?

Voters in the province of Quebec went to the polls today and they sent a message.

They want to stay in Canada.

I could not be happier. I don't think Canada would be the country it is now without what this province brings to the table.

As a hockey fan I'm overjoyed that team Canada won't have to face a team Quebec at the Olympics any time soon, though I think it would be very good for the women's game to add another top flight team to the competition.

I think it would add a little more parody and there would be more than two teams that would have a legitimate shot at winning. (I hope I'm not sounding like I am taking a shot at women's hockey because I'm not. The drama provided by the women's gold medal game at this year's Olympics was epic).

I grew up in a neighborhood that wasn't exactly pro- French. I knew a lot of people in school that resented having to learn it as an official language.

Once upon a time they did a study in Canada and found something shocking about the demographics of the country - apparently there were more than just English and French people living here.

I don't have a problem with French being an official language. I had a few friends from South Africa and one of them told me they had a lot more than just two official languages.

One time he tried to show us as he sang the country's national anthem.

I remember the furor and the controversy in the early 90s as Canada tried to change its constitution. I think it was called the Meech Lake Accord, and it was sponsored and supported by all major political parties in the country.

One problem everyone had with it was the inclusion of the idea or notion that Quebec was a 'distinct society', whatever that meant.

During the campaign Jean Chretien came in to speak to my high school (it was like a million years ago so I was still in high school)

I got to ask him a question.

As a kid I was always interested in politics. As an adult not so much. I can't even remember the last time I voted. (or was in the country during an election I could vote in)

From now on I think I'm going to pay a lot more attention to politics.

Who knows, I might even go out and vote.

peace

rymr

No comments:

Post a Comment